South Daytona is a city in Volusia County, Florida, United States. The population was 13,177 at the 2000 census. As of 2004, the population recorded by the U.S. Census Bureau is 13,758 .
|— City —|
Location in Volusia County and the state of Florida
|- Total||4.9 sq mi (12.5 km2)|
|- Land||3.6 sq mi (9.2 km2)|
|- Water||1.3 sq mi (3.3 km2)|
|Elevation||10 ft (3 m)|
|- Density||2,400/sq mi (940/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|- Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||32119, 32121|
|GNIS feature ID||0291367|
The City of South Daytona, a progressive city on the Halifax River in Central Florida, was once a town called Blake, with some forty (40) resident families and as many more non-resident property holders. The land was peculiarly adapted to orange culture and vegetable gardening, in which many of the early settlers were profitably engaged. According to the national Archives and Records in Washington, D.C., Blake opened its first Post Office on August 19, 1878. Around 1886, the first train came as far as Daytona and, ten years later the line extended to Miami. Soon thereafter, a railroad station was built at Big Tree Crossing.
By 1926, the towns of Daytona, Daytona Beach, and Seabreeze were consolidated to make the City of Daytona Beach. Daytona Beach then proceeded to annex all the adjacent territories including the town of Blake. Because of new taxes and appraisals levied, residents of Blake were forced to hire an attorney and eventually, around 1938, succeeded in breaking away from Daytona Beach to become the incorporated town of South Daytona.
Soon after World War II, the town adopted a Building Department, followed by a Planning and Zoning Board. Builders and developers soon became interested in the area and South Daytona started to develop. South Daytona was then in a position to request financial assistance from the federal government for expansion of utilities, streets, etc. South Daytona was the first town in the Halifax area, after Daytona Beach, to install a sanitary sewer system. The town continued to prosper and was incorporated as the City of South Daytona in 1951. South Daytona has operated under a City Manager/Council form of government since 1980, with the Mayor and four Council Members serving four-year, staggered terms beginning in 1990. The population has grown to approximately 13,714 and encompasses approximately 4.00 square miles (10.4 km2). There are nearly 44.5 miles (71.6 km) of roadway, 40 miles (64 km) of sewer lines, and 55 miles (89 km) of water lines throughout the city. The average elevation is 6.5 feet (2.0 m) above sea level.
South Daytona is located at(29.165310, -81.009057).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 12.5 km² (4.8 mi²). 9.2 km² (3.6 mi²) of it is land and 3.3 km² (1.3 mi²) of it (26.45%) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 12,252 people and 4,931 households residing in the city.
In the city the population was spread out with 5.7% under the age of 18, and 17.3% who were 65 years of age or older. There were approximately 2.48 people per household.
The median income for a household in South Daytona was $34,290. About 22.5% of families were living below the poverty line.
South Daytona prides itself on being business friendly. It is a mecca for small and prosperous businesses, including hundreds of home occupations. City staff work closely with businesses, large and small, to expedite permitting. The U.S. 1 and Nova Road corridors are attractive business locations and provide easy access to Interstates 4 and 95.
Among the numerous corporate partners that call South Daytona home are:
- CSR Rinker (concrete products)
- Premier Bathrooms regional headquarters (British tub manufacturer)
- International Academy (cosmetology school)
- National Association for Public Safety Communications Officers
- Coastal Designs (resin coatings)
- John’s Appliance City (retail)
- Giles Electric (contractor)
- Volusia Construction
- Votran (public transit)
- Big Tree Plaza
- Sunshine Park Mall